Hi! This is the 30th issue of WebRender’s most famous newsletter. At the top of each newsletter I try to dedicate a few paragraphs to some historical/technical details of the project. Today I’ll write about blob images (moved to a separate post).
Notable WebRender and Gecko changes
- Bobby keeps improving the texture cache heuristics to reduce peak GPU memory usage.
- Bobby improved the texture cache’s debug display.
- Jeff fixed a pair of blob image related crashes.
- Jeff investigated content frame time telemetry data.
- Dan improved our score on the dl_mutate talos benchmark by 20%.
- Kats landed the async zooming changes for WebRender on Android.
- Kats fixed a crash.
- Kvark simplified some of the displaylist building code.
- Matt Fixed a crash with tiled blob images.
- Lee fixed a bug causing fonts to use the wrong DirectWrite render mode on Windows.
- Emilio fixed a box-shadow regression.
- Emilio switched the CI to an osmesa version that works with clang 7.
- Glenn landed the picture caching work for text shadows.
- Glenn refactored some of the plane splitting code to move it into the picture traversal pass.
- Glenn removed some dead code.
- Glenn separated brush segment descriptors form clip mask instance.
- Glenn refactored the none-patch segment generation code.
- Glenn removed the local_rect from PictureState.
- Sotaro improved the frame synchronization yielding a nice performance improvement on the glterrain talos benchmark.
- Sotaro recycled the D3D11 Query object, which improved the glterrain, tart and tscrollx talos scores on Windows.
- Sotaro simplified some of the image sharing code.
- The gfx team has a new manager, welcome Jessie!
- Matt and Dan are investigating performance.
- Doug is investigating the effects of document splitting on talos scores.
- Lee is fixing font rendering issues.
- Kvark is making progress on the clip/scroll API refactoring.
- Kats keeps investigating WebRender on Android.
- Glenn is incrementally working towards picture caching for scrolled surfaces.
Enabling WebRender in Firefox Nightly
- set “gfx.webrender.all” to true,
- restart Firefox.