Batching notes are moved into a separate post.
Notable WebRender and Gecko changes
- Henrik added reftests for the ImageRendering propertiy: (1), (2) and (3).
- Bobby changed the way pref changes propagate through WebRender.
- Bobby improved the texture cache debug view.
- Bobby improved the texture cache eviction heuristics.
- Chris fixed the way WebRender activation interacts with the progressive feature rollout system.
- Chris added a marionette test running on a VM with a GPU.
- Kats and Jamie experimented with various solution to a driver bug on some Adreno GPUs.
- Kvark removed some smuggling of clipIds for clip and reference frame items in Gecko’s displaylist building code. This fixed a few existing bugs: (1), (2) and (3).
- Matt and Jeff added some new telemetry and analyzed the results.
- Matt added a debugging indicator that moves when a frame takes too long to help with catching performance issues.
- Andrew landed his work on surface sharing for animated images which fixed most of the outstanding performance issues related to animated images.
- Andrew completed animated image frame recycling.
- Lee fixed a bug with sub-pixel glyph positioning.
- Glenn fixed a crash.
- Glenn fixed another crash.
- Glenn reduced the need for full world rect calculation during culling to make it easier to do clustered culling.
- Nical switched device coordinates to signed integers in order to be able to meet some of the needs of blob image recoordination and simplify some code.
- Nical added some debug checks to avoid global OpenGL states from the embedder causing issues in WebRender.
- Sotaro fixed an intermittent timeout.
- Sotaro fixed a crash on Android related to SurfaceTexture.
- Sotaro improved the frame synchronization code.
- Sotaro cleaned up the frame synchronization code some more.
- Timothy ported img AltFeedback items to WebRender.
- Glenn is about to land a major piece of his tiled picture caching work which should solve a lot of the remaining issues with pages that generate too much GPU work.
- Matt, Dan and Jeff keep investigating into CPU performance, a lot which revolving around many memory copies generated by rustc when moving structures on the stack.
- Doug is investigating talos performance issues with document splitting.
- Nical is making progress on improving the invalidation of tiled blob images during scrolling.
- Kvark keeps catching smugglers in gecko’s displaylist building code.
- Kats and Jamie are hunting driver bugs on Android.
Enabling WebRender in Firefox Nightly
In about:config, set the pref “gfx.webrender.all” to true and restart the browser.
The best place to report bugs related to WebRender in Firefox is the Graphics :: WebRender component in bugzilla.
Note that it is possible to log in with a github account.