We skipped the newsletter for a few weeks (sorry about that!), but we are back. I don’t have a lot to report today, in part because I don’t yet have a good workflow to track the interesting changes (especially in gecko) so I am most likely missing a lot of them, and a lot of us are working on big pieces of the project that are taking time to come together and I am waiting for these to be completed before they make it in the newsletter.
Notable WebRender changes
- Glenn started reorganizing the shader sources to make them compile faster (important for startup time).
- Morris implemented the backface-visibility property.
- Glenn added some optimizations to the clipping code.
- Glenn improved the scheduling/batching of alpha passes to reduce the number of render target switches.
- Sotaro improved error handling.
- Glenn improved the transfer of the primitive data to the GPU by using pixel buffer objects instead of texture uploads.
- Glenn added a web-based debugger UI to WebRender. It can inspect display lists, batches and can control various other debugging options.
Notable Gecko changes
- Kats enabled layers-free mode for async scrolling reftests.
- Kats and Morris enabled rendering tables in WebRender.
- Gankro fixed a bug with invisible text not casting shadows.
- Gankro improved the performance of generating text display items.